Skip to main content recently migrated servers. Clear your cache and refresh this page to ensure you're receiving the most accurate information.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Certification FAQs

What is the FAC-C Modernization effort?

OFPP’s FAC-C Modernization fosters a culture of lifelong learning for acquisition professionals. The FAC-C Modernization memo, dated January 19, 2023 updated the training and certification requirements for civilian contracting professionals and provided additional professional development opportunities through the introduction of credentials. The memo updated the certification program to a single-level certification FAC-C (Professional) that included a new curriculum, an updated competency model, and a professional certification exam. FAI developed three informational videos - one for the acquisition workforce, one for supervisors, and one covering some Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for FAC-C (Professional)?

  • Training: You will need to complete four core training courses – CON 1100 (Contract Foundational Skills), CON 1200V (Contract Pre-Award), CON 1300V (Contract Award) and CON 1400V (Contract Post-Award).
  • Experience: You will need to meet the minimum requirement of twelve months full-time experience applying a representative sample of the technical contracting common competencies.
  • Professional Exam: You will need to receive a passing score on the Contracting Professional certification exam. The professional contracting exam is a closed book, 150-question proctored exam on contracting competencies. An optional  exam prep course is available to assist student preparation for the exam - CON 3910. Work closely with your supervisor, who will help you secure on-the-job training and experiential opportunities during your first year.

If I complete the training classes, can I request a legacy FAC-C certification after Sept. 30, 2023?

No, per the OFPP policy memo, the last day to request a FAC-C legacy was September 30, 2023.

Did the competency model change?

Yes - a new competency model took effect on February 1, 2023.  The new model is relevant and applicable across DoD, Federal Civilian agencies and industry.  The new competency model aligns and simplifies the previous model and details both buyer and seller tasks, and includes an industry perspective.

Are there any educational requirements for the FAC-C (Professional)?

There is no separate education requirement for certification, but OPM’s 1102 Hiring Qualifications standards remain in effect.

What about continuous learning point (CLP) requirements for the FAC-C (Professional)?

The continuous learning point requirement remains at 80 hours until April 30, 2024. Effective May 1, 2024 (the start of the next common CL period) the continuous learning points required to maintain the FAC-C (Professional) certification will increase to 100 hours for every two year common period.

What is a credential?

A credential is designed to document your knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform a specific function, skill, or set of tasks. Credentials provide the knowledge and associated skills to perform job-centric, niche, and/or emerging functions in the acquisition environment. Credentials do not replace certifications or certification-related requirements. Instead, a credential is a curated learning package focused on a specific knowledge or skill area and includes multiple learning assets totaling 20 - 80 training hours. Credentials will provide just-in-time, on-demand training to acquisition workforce members in support of the lifelong learning model. For more information, review FAI’s credential page.

Do credentials have continuous learning requirements?

No, credentials do not have continuous learning requirements. In fact, earning a credential is one of many ways to earn continuous learning points towards your certification requirements.

How do I earn a credential?

To earn a credential, acquisition workforce members need to complete the predetermined requirements for the specific credential, which may include a combination of one or more training courses along with other learning assets such as videos, games, simulations, and/or a capstone assessment. Credentials are earned through FAI CSOD. For more details on credentials, see FAI’s credential page.

I have a DoD Contracting DAWIA certification in contracting. How can I become FAC-C certified?

Contact your agency Acquisition Career Manager (ACM) or your small agency representative (SAR) for specific directions on applying for a FAC-C (Professional) using your DAWIA certification. At a minimum when you apply for your FAC-C (Professional), you will need to provide proof of your continuous learning points.

A DAWIA certification in contracting is equivalent to a FAC-C (Professional), provided the continuous learning criteria for FAC-C (Professional) has been met. Requirements for continuous learning can be found on the Continuous Learning page.

I currently work for DoD. How can I obtain FAC-C (Professional)?

FAC-C (Professional) is limited to individuals who work for federal civilian agencies.

Can federal contractor employees earn Federal Acquisition Certifications?

No. Federal Acquisition Certification (FAC) programs are only intended for federal government employees.

When a person transfers to a new agency, must their warrant be accepted also?

Contracting warrants, or Certificates of Appointment, are position specific. Warrants are granted to acquisition workforce members because of the position they hold at the time the warrant is granted. When a workforce member moves from position to position within an agency, the warrant does not necessarily move with them. The same is true when a workforce member moves from agency to agency. The warrant does not move with them.

Contracting Certification Exam - CON 3990V

If I’m already certified, can I still take the exam?

No, since you are already certified, there is no need for you to take the exam. There is a cost for each exam that is administered.

Can the requirement for the CON 3990V Contracting Certification Exam be met through fulfillment?

No, in order to obtain the FAC-C (Professional), candidates must take and pass the CON 3990V Contracting Certification Exam, fulfillment for this requirement is not an option.

Is the CON 3990V Contracting Certification Exam open or closed-book?

The CON 3990V Contracting Certification Exam is completely closed book. You will not be able to use or reference any subject material during the exam, to include but not limited to notes, books, computers, personal devices, etc.

What is the passing score?

You must obtain a score of 70% or higher to pass the exam.

How many questions are on the exam?

There are 150 questions, each randomly pulled from a robust database ensuring each exam delivered is slightly different from the next. FAI and DAU uses a common industry practice of periodically reviewing exam item performance to determine whether adjustments are needed to any exam questions, or to the passing score.

When am I eligible to take the exam?

After you have completed all of the required training: CON 1100V, CON 1200V, CON 1300V and CON 1400V, you will be able to access the CON 3990V Contracting Certification Exam in FAI CSOD. Within 24 hours after registration, you will receive a welcome email from Pearson VUE ( with detailed instructions on how to schedule your exam. You will not be able to register for the exam without the link provided in the PearsonVUE welcome email. and will receive an email from PearsonVUE with information on how to schedule your exam. Current FAC-C certified workforce members should not request to take the exam.

Where can I take the exam?

The exam is delivered by Pearson VUE, a commercial test service provider under contract with FAI. Examinees may choose one of two ways to take the exam, either virtually on a personal computer using OnVUE--a Pearson VUE software client application, or in person at a Pearson VUE test center. This link provides excellent information to exam candidates for both options: If a candidate decides to take the exam remotely using the OnVUE application, they will have to be able to download a software add-on. Please check the system requirements for the OnVUE application:

Are there any advantages to taking the exam in-person at a test center vs. virtually using OnVUE?

Although the exam is the same regardless of delivery method, historical data reflects an apparent advantage to taking the exam in-person vs. virtually. Statistically speaking, the passing rate is ~5% higher for tests taken at a test facility. There are several factors that may contribute to the delta in the rates, i.e., IT/connectivity issues, increased test anxiety in the virtual environment, early termination due to examinee test environment compromise, etc. As such, it is recommended that examinees take exams at a physical Pearson VUE test location, and only choose the OnVUE virtual option by exception.

Where can I take the Contracting Certification Exam in-person?

When you choose to schedule “at a test center”, the search function will default to Pearson Professional Centers (PPC)’s based on the zip code in your FAI CSOD profile. If you are located near a DoD installation, you can also search to see if there is a test center on a base/post near you by choosing the “Military Community” link below the search bar in the “Find a Test Center” page.

What if there are no Pearson Professional Centers (PPC), or military on-base test centers within commuting distance from my home of record or near my duty location?

If your test center search yielded no PPC’s or on-base location test centers within commuting distance to your home or near your duty location, your best option would be to take the test virtually using OnVUE. If testing virtually is not a viable option, then you must secure a travel authorization working through your supervisor prior to scheduling an exam appointment.

What happens if I am unable to test on the date that has been scheduled?

You must cancel or reschedule at least 48 hours prior to your appointment date and time.

Are there any study materials available for the Contracting Certification Exam?

FAI highly encourages taking the online self-paced course, CON 3910 Contracting Certification Exam Prep Course, which will automatically be assigned to you upon registering for the exam. As another option, you can take FCN 3920 - Contracting DAWIA/FAC-C Certification Prep Course, which is a five-day live Instructor-led training. There is also a game called A FAR Better View, that can help you gain familiarity with the FAR parts and their titles.

Will I have to pay any fees to take the exam?

No, all exam fees are paid by the Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI). Be aware, though, that in the event you are a “no-show”, the Government will still be charged for a full exam fee and your no show will be recorded as a failed exam attempt.

Is there anything specific I should be aware of before registering for CON 3990V?

Yes, please ensure that your CSOD profile first and last name match your official Gov't ID or state ID. Pearson VUE requires an ID check prior to starting the exam, if they do not match you will not be allowed to sit for the exam.

How much time will I have to take the exam?

You will be allowed three (3) hours to take the exam - this encompasses all “seat time” at the Pearson VUE test facility, and includes the exam intro, tutorial, 150-question exam, breaks, and any pre-submission review. There are no breaks allowed if you take the exam virtually via onVUE.

What material is covered in the exam, what is being tested?

Candidates will need to be able to demonstrate a foundational understanding of the Contracting Common Technical Competencies (and related job tasks) found in the Contracting Competency Model. The questions in the exam, and more importantly, the correct answers, are derived from the policy and guidance in the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and, very minimally, the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) as it relates to the competencies and job tasks in the Contracting Competency Model. Additionally, you should be familiar with the titles of the following FAR Parts: 1, 2, 3. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 19, 31, 33, 42, 44, 46, and 49

How many questions are on the exam for each of the competencies in the DoD Contracting Competency Model? The table below depicts the distribution of questions in the exam per competency:

Is there any TDY or travel required to take the Exam?

FAI expects that there will be a Pearson VUE test location within commuting distance from most everyone’s home of record or duty station. In the rare event there is not a Pearson VUE test site available within commuting distance, and if testing virtually is not a viable option, then you must receive travel authorization through your agency prior to scheduling the exam.

If I pass the CON 3990V exam, can I avoid taking the CON 1100V through 1400V certification courses?

No. Completion or fulfillment of the certification courses, CON 1100V, 1200V, 1300V, and 1400V, are required for certification. CON 3990V is a separate and distinct FAC-C (Professional) requirement from the four courses.

Where can I submit any questions, concerns, or feedback about the exam that hasn’t been addressed in any of the policy, FAQ’s, or other guiding documents or websites?

You can either submit an inquiry to the DAU help desk at or through the Pearson VUE customer service link.


How do I know if I’m subject to the Federal Acquisition Certification in Program and Project Managers (FAC-P/PM)? 

Check with your Acquisition Career Manager (ACM) or small agency Representative (SAR).

How do I find my ACM/SAR? 

Go to the ACM/SAR directory on this website.

To whom does the FAC-P/PM Certification apply? 

The FAC-P/PM applies to all Federal employees of executive branch agencies EXCEPT those covered under 10 USC, such as the Department of Defense who are assigned as a program and/or project manager with an agency determined level of certification. Private industry or contractors are not eligible for FAC-P/PM certification.

What is required for FAC-P/PM Certification? 

You can satisfy the competency requirements through successful completion of certification training, completion of comparable education or certification programs, or demonstration of or evidence provided of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Additional guidance can be found on this website under the Certification tab/ FAC-P/PM, or through your agency acquisition career manager, or small agency representative (SAR).

Where do I find courses to begin the certification process?

Acquisition workforce members should register through FAI CSODand consult their agency acquisition career manager (ACM) or small agency representative (SAR).

Can we use bureau/agency developed courses in lieu of vendor courses or do they need to be approved by FAI first?

Yes, if your agency ACM/SAR has determined a course meets training requirements, it can be used to satisfy that coursework area. 

Is FAC-P/PM certification sufficient for a project manager in Information Technology (IT)?

The FAC-P/PM certification policy provides a core-plus specialty certification for P/PMs involved in managing IT projects and programs. There are not ascending levels of certification for this specialty certification, however, to receive the FAC-P/PM/IT specialty certification, the workforce member must first be certified at FAC-P/PM mid-level, have at least two years experience managing IT projects, and meet the performance outcomes in the IT PM competency model.

I have considerable experience in project management. Must I start the certification process at the Entry level? 

Achieving each certification level in progression from entry- through senior-level is not required; however, P/PMs may only be certified at a certain level after they achieve all competencies for that certification level. In addition, lower level competencies needed to perform at the level being certified must be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the certifying agency. Contact your acquisition career manager (ACM) or small agency representative (SAR) for certification guidance.

I am being considered for assignment to a “major acquisition/investment.” Must I have my P/PM certification to be given this assignment?

The policy that established FAC-P/PM states that project and program managers must be senior-level certified for such assignments. However, this certification must be attained within one year of such an assignment – not before you are initially assigned.

What happens if I am not able to attain senior-level certification within a year of such an assignment?

The agency’s Chief Acquisition Officer (CAO), or his/her designee, may extend in writing, on a case-by-case basis, the date upon which a P/PM must be certified by an additional 12 months, if it is in the best interest of the agency. Written justification shall be provided that includes the reason for and conditions of the extension, and the agency’s Acquisition Career Manager (ACM), small agency representative (SAR), or designee shall maintain all supporting documentation. Per Dec. 16, 2013, Memo on Revisions to the Federal Acquisition Certification in Program and Project Managers (FAC-P/PM) from OFPP.

I’ve been tasked as a new Program Manager and am not certified. Now what?

Agencies assign personnel to be program and/or project managers and determine the appropriate level of certification they should hold. This is a decision involving the level of risk, complexity, cost and impact of the program to the agency mission. Unless an extension is granted, new program/project managers who are not certified have twelve months from the date of assignment to the project/program to achieve certification. Per Dec. 16, 2013, Memo on Revisions to the Federal Acquisition Certification in Program and Project Managers (FAC-P/PM) from OFPP.

Should certification packages be sent to FAI?

Certification packages are approved at the agency level. Acquisition Workforce members should always contact their agency’s acquisition career manager (ACM) or small agency representative (SAR) with questions concerning certification, continuous learning, and other questions. FAI does not process or approve certification packages or continuous learning.

When applicants submit a certification or fulfillment package is there a required form that must be completed? 

The agency provides the application process and template. Contact your acquisition career manager (ACM) or small agency representative (SAR) for certification guidance. 

Why must I meet the FAC-P/PM continuous learning requirements?

FAC-P/PM describes core, minimum competencies that are considered essential for successful program and project management. If you are required by your CAO to attain P/PM certification you must not only acquire these competencies and have a certain number of years of experience associated with each of three levels, you must also earn 80 continuous learning points (CLPs) every two years to maintain the currency of your certification. CLPs are required to maintain a current knowledge base, develop critical thinking abilities, have an awareness of innovations and leading-edge technologies to achieve successful acquisition outcomes. Contact your agency ACM or SAR for more information.

What are examples of acceptable skills currency training and continuous learning points?

See the guidelines for continuous learning. These guidelines reflect best-in-practice recommendations for continuous learning. Agencies retain flexibility and supervisors remain responsible for working with program and project managers to identify those activities and opportunities of greatest benefit to the professional development of an individual. The training, professional activities, education and experience that are used to meet the CLP requirements must be job related. 

Who keeps track of my Continuous Learning Points? 

Individuals are responsible for maintaining continuous learning records, and agency ACMs, SARs, or their designees, will monitor the continuous learning requirements to ensure certifications remain active. Continuous Learning progress can be tracked on the Continuous Learning Individual Progress (CLIP) dashboard in the Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI) Cornerstone OnDemand (CSOD) system.  

FAI Cornerstone OnDemand (CSOD) FAQs

The Office of Federal Procurement Policy (OFPP) and the Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI) are pleased to announce that we have completed the transition from the Federal Acquisition Institute Training Application System (FAITAS) to the FAI Cornerstone OnDemand (CSOD), a Defense Acquisition University (DAU) instance of CSOD.

We understand that, as we all get more comfortable with the new system, the Acquisition Workforce (AWF) at-large will have questions about FAI CSOD. As with all large-scale system changes, we want to ensure all users are informed and have access to answers and information in these FAQs, which are updated frequently.

FAI has partnered with DAU to provide service and support for FAI CSOD. Use the table below to determine the best resource to contact for your FAI CSOD related questions.

Resource When to Use Contact
Defense Acquisition University (DAU) Help Desk
  • FAI CSOD system questions and issues
  • FAI CSOD system errors and troubleshooting
  • Password issues and resets

DAU Help Desk (via ServiceNow Online Portal)

* If you do not receive a ticket number, check your spam/junk folder for an email from DAU ServiceNow <>

Your Agency’s Acquisition Career Manager (ACM) or Small Agency Representative (SAR)
  • Agency-specific Acquisition Training, Certification, and Continuous Learning (CL) Requirements
  • Agency-specific Acquisition Policies and Procedures
  • Career Development
  • Training and Development Opportunities
FAI’s Acquisition Career Manager & Small Agency Representative Information
FAI CSOD Training Materials and Online Resources (need FAI CSOD account to access)
  • Task Aids for FAI CSOD Roles
  • FAI CSOD Training Videos
  • Other guidance for performing tasks in FAI CSOD

I no longer wish to receive FAI CSOD emails and would like to be removed from the distribution list.

FAI CSOD does not have a function that enables us to delete individuals from the 'all contacts' list. When FAI sends emails to all users, it is usually for a significant update and is therefore delivered infrequently.

How do I update my FAI CSOD user profile data?

Federal users have the ability to update the information in their universal profile in FAI CSOD. Refer to the Employee Task Aid and training videos within the FAI CSOD ‘Help’ tab for step-by-step guidance for how to update your user profile data.

NOTE: A change in the user profile may take up to 4 hours to update in the system and sync with the Okta login service. FAI recommends that you update your profile at the end of the business day. Please close your browser completely and do not log back into FAI CSOD until the next business day (if possible). Keeping your session active or logging back in may overwrite the change you made.

I completed an online training course, but my FAI CSOD transcript is not reflecting a completion status. How do I get this corrected?

If you completed a CSOD online course and your transcript is not showing a completion status, submit a ticket via the ServiceNow Online Portal with a copy of the Completion Certificate or the completion confirmation email that you received after completing the online course and request an update to your training record.

DAU Help Desk (via ServiceNow Online Portal): 

NOTE: You must provide the Completion Certificate or the completion confirmation email in order for your training record to be updated.

My FAI CSOD transcript is not reflecting the correct training status (e.g., No Show, Withdraw, Fail) for an instructor-led training session. How do I get this corrected?

If your transcript shows an inaccurate training status (no show, withdraw, fail) for an instructor led training session, use the table below to contact the Registrar team of the agency that conducted the training session and request an update to your training status.

I am registered for instructor-led training, but I have not received any information about how to access the training. What should I do? Who should I contact?

If you are registered for instructor-led training (ILT), but you have not received any information about how to access the training, do not wait until the first day of class to contact someone. At least one week before a class begins, you should contact the Registrar team of the agency conducting the training. Use the table below for agency’s Registrar contact information.

Agency FAI CSOD Session ID Convention Example Registrar Contact Information
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) DHS: FCR 201-2021-010 AcquisitionTraining@HQ.DHS.GOV
Department of the Treasury (Treasury) TAI: FPM 334-2021-101
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) HHS: CON 360 (FED)-2021-201
Department of Energy (DOE) DOE: FFM 409-2021-V41
Department of the Interior (DOI) DOIU: FCR 404-2021-Washington, DC-Tuition $825.00
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) EPA: FCL-EPA-0028-2021-V64
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) VA: FQN 402-2021-V70
General Services Administration (GSA) GSA: CON 280 (FED)-2022-V82
Agency for International Development (USAID) USAID: FCL-AID-0007-2021-9V9
Department of Justice (DOJ) DOJ-BOP:CON 091 (FED)-2021-001a
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) N/A
Department of State (State) N/A
Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI) FAI: FPM 121-2021-V01

Why am I not able to register for DAU training events?

DAU ILT/VILT courses generally aren't open for registration via FAI CSOD, with several exceptions listed here:

If you are interested in alternatives to particular DAU ILT and vILT sessions, consult your agency ACM.

Find contact information for your agency’s ACM on the ACM/SAR Page

DAU Online Training (OLT) is available to all students.

Who can I contact if I have questions about certifications or warrants?

Contact your agency’s Acquisition Career Manager (ACM) or small agency representative (SAR) for questions related to certifications or warrants. ACMs and SARs can provide targeted information in the following areas:

  • Agency-specific Acquisition Training, Certification, Warrants, and Continuous Learning (CL) Requirements
  • Agency-specific Acquisition Policies and Procedures
  • Career Development
  • Training and Development Opportunities

Find contact information for your agency’s ACM or SAR on the ACM/SAR Page

How do I create a user account in order to access FAI CSOD?

Federal government users, contractors, and foreign nationals must submit a System Authorization Access Request (SAAR) form to obtain an FAI CSOD user account. The FAI SAAR is available online at Refer to the SAAR job aid for guidance on how to complete the SAAR form:

  • Non-DoD Federal Agency Users, refer to page 13.
  • Foreign National Users with a DAUID, refer to page 13.
  • Foreign National Users without a DAUID, refer to page 23.

All users should submit requests for log-in assistance, password resets, and other issues or questions related to your FAI CSOD access via the ServiceNow Online Portal.

DAU Help Desk (via ServiceNow Online Portal): 

You can also watch  these video tutorials that will further explain FAI CSOD access.

How do I access FAI CSOD from the DAU dashboard in Identity Management after activating my account?

You have reached the DAU dashboard because you logged in from this URL To access FAI CSOD from this URL click on the Virtual Campus button as shown in the screenshot below. To access FAI CSOD directly by going to


What browser should I use to access FAI CSOD?

You need to use one of the following browsers to access FAI CSOD:

  • Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 (Microsoft Edge Chromium)
  • Apple Safari
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Google Chrome

Note: Internet Explorer (IE) is NOT supported by FAI CSOD.

Am I able to use my Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card to login? 

No, currently, login to FAI CSOD is with your work email and a password provided by DAU. FAI plans to have PIV authentication capability, but this is not available at this time.

I need permissions and access within FAI CSOD to perform tasks that are above the standard employee and/or supervisor/manager roles. How can I get assigned to an elevated system role (i.e., role other than the standard employee and supervisor/manager roles)?

FAI CSOD role changes must be coordinated through the agency ACM or SAR. Contact your agency’s Acquisition Career Manager (ACM) or small agency representative (SAR) for assistance.

Find contact information for your agency’s ACM/SAR on the ACM/SAR Directory.

Are there any training, resources, or guidance available to help me learn and navigate FAI CSOD?

Yes. The following training materials are available from the 'Help' tab within FAI CSOD  to help you learn and navigate FAI CSOD:

  1. Training Videos - These short (30-second to 3-minute) videos will provide answers to many of your FAI CSOD questions on topics that include: Updating User Records, Registering for Certification, Submitting Education and Experience Requirements, Registering for Instructor-led Training, Requesting Equivalencies and Fulfillments, and more.

Is there help desk support available?

Yes. Submit requests to the DAU Help Desk via the ServiceNow Online Portal for assistance with the following types of issues:

  • FAI CSOD system questions and issues
  • FAI CSOD system errors and troubleshooting
  • Password issues and resets

DAU Help Desk (via ServiceNow Online Portal): 

Does it matter if I register for a training session offered by an agency other than my own?

We have an agreement among agencies that instructor-led training sessions are the same from one agency to the next (e.g., FCR 201, CON 1100V, FPM 121, etc.). They all address the same competencies and job requirements. The difference might be that some agencies prioritize their own employees before allowing others to get a seat, they charge a fee to employees of other agencies, or they conduct the training over different periods of time.

For example, FCR 201 consists of 40 hours of training. Training sessions might be conducted 8 hours per day over 5 days, 5 hours per day over 8 days, or 4 hours per day over 10 days.

Always consult your agency’s ACM for training requirements particular to your agency.

Find contact information for your agency’s ACM on the ACM Page.

Am I able to print copies of course completion certificates and acquisition certifications?

Yes. CSOD supports printing course completion certificates and certifications from your transcript. 

How do I request an FAI Official Transcript?

Submit your request for an FAI Official Transcript to the DAU Help Desk via the ServiceNow Online Portal.

DAU Help Desk (via ServiceNow Online Portal): 

Is CSOD 508 compliant? Is CSOD content 508 compliant? 

CSOD is 508 compliant. The user pages of the Cornerstone system are generally compliant with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, depending on the features used and the way the client has configured its portal. The Cornerstone system is compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA. This ensures that all user features are accessible to people with disabilities. Cornerstone maintains support for the latest version of JAWS screen reading software.

Individual content providers must verify 508 compliance for their course content prior to upload.

Training FAQs

The Defense Acquisition University (DAU) hosts a large amount of online acquisition training available to all Federal employees through  FAI CSOD.

To view a listing of current DAU online course offerings, please visit the  DAU iCatalog.

Further help about DAU’s training services is available at

If I earn another certification during the common Continuous Learning (CL) period, will my CL window be different?

No, the new certification earned will have the same CL period as your initial certification.

Will I be able to upload external CLP requests?

Yes, you will be able to submit an External Continuous Learning Activity request via the  FAI CSOD home page. There will be training guides and videos to guide you through the process.

Will my completed CLPs count towards all of my certifications?

Yes, your completed CLPs will count toward all FAC certifications that are in a certified status.

Will my data and previous CLP period display on the CLIP dashboard?

No, your previous CLP period will not display on the dashboard, but any training that was completed via the FAI/DAU course catalog will display on your transcript.

How will I know that I have met my CLP requirements?

Your CLIP dashboard will reflect your status as completed.

Will the system display which CLP activities count for CLPs on my dashboard?

Yes, you can use the “view details” bar on the CLIP dashboard to see a list of all the Continuous Learning activities that you have completed to date.

Where do I go to see my CLIP Dashboard?

Log in to FAI CSOD. Look for the CLIP dashboard icon. If you need to establish an FAI CSOD account, click here for log-in assistance.

How many Continuous Learning Points (CLPs) do I need?

To maintain your FAC-C or FAC-P/PM, you must earn eighty (80) CLPs every two years. To maintain your FAC-COR Level II and III, you must earn forty (40) CLPs every two years (with the exception of Level I CORs, who only require 8 CLPs every two years). This is outlined in the Federal Acquisition Certification guidance for each specialty. Be sure to check with your Agency for additional continuous learning requirements that may be needed.

What are examples of acceptable training and activities that would allow me to earn continuous learning points? How much credit can I receive for the different types of training and activities?

Continuous learning opportunities should be used to obtain training in core competencies, maintain critical acquisition skills and obtain agency specific training. Review Continuous Learning If you have a specific question about a course or activity, please see your agency ACM or SAR.

What will happen if I don't meet the required number of training hours every two years?

Contracting Officers (COs) may have their warrants suspended or revoked until the CLP requirement is met. CORs may have their appointment suspended or rescinded until their CLP requirement is met. Program/Project Managers may be removed from the program or project.

What’s the difference between online training (OLT) and virtual instructor-led training (vILT) and why should I care?

These names and phrases are for different flavors of online training. It’s important to familiarize yourself with them so you can better understand how to find and register for the training you seek.

Online Training (OLT) – online training is made up of self-paced, online material (e.g., videos, documents, slides, etc.) available “on demand” 24/7. Students have unlimited attempts to earn 80% or higher on each post assessment within the curriculum to pass the OLT. Students can bypass the course material and proceed directly to the post assessment, but can not jump around on the post assessment exams. Exams must be passed in sequential order.

Virtual Instructor-Led Training (vILT) – vILT classes are essentially classroom training delivered online. They are not “on demand” classes you complete at your pace. They are synchronous which means there are specific times when the instructor and students meet at the same time in structured online settings.

FCN, FCR, FPM, FAC, etc. What do all of these letters mean? 

These are course identification prefixes that federal civilian agencies have agreed to use to make finding the type of training they offer and students seek consistent and easier. Review the table below to get a better understanding of the prefixes used by federal civilian agencies. The Defense Acquisition University uses a slightly different set of IDs for their training courses and continuous learning modules.

Prefix Subject
FAC FAI Continuous Learning Modules
FQN Acquisition Management
FAU Auditing
FCE Cost Estimating
FCM Contract Management
FCN Contracting
FCR Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR)
FEN Engineering
FEV Earned Value Management
FFE Facilities Engineering
FFM Business, and Financial Management
FGR Grants
FIN Industrial/Contract Property Management
FIR Information Resource Management
FLD Leadership and Development
FLG Logistics
FMS Facility Management Services
FPM Program Management
FPQ Production, Quality, and Management
FRQ Requirements Management
FSA Software Acquisition Management
FSE Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering
FST Science and Technology Management
FTE Test & Evaluation

What are FAI’s policies about their training, attendance policies, wait lists, no shows, etc.?

FAI’s Student Training Guidebook contains all of the policies for participating in FAI-provided training.

Can anyone register for training through FAI?

Only federal employees can register for training through FAI because FAI training is funded by the Acquisition Workforce Training Fund. Some training resources, like our Acquisition Seminars, Knowledge Nuggets, and Podcasts are available through our Media Library, but the bulk of our assets are only available to federal employees through FAI CSOD.

How much does training through FAI cost?

FAI training is free. There is no tuition cost to students or their agencies. FAI training is funded by the Acquisition Workforce Training Fund.

Can the Acquisition Workforce Training Fund (AWTF) be used to pay for contractor training?

No. The AWTF’s statutory purpose is to support the federal acquisition workforce.

The federal acquisition workforce is defined in the implementing statute 41 U.S.C. § 1703. Section 1703(a) states “for purposes of this section , the acquisition workforce of an agency consists of all employees serving in acquisition positions…” The AWTF is authorized in 41 U.S.C. § 1703(i). Subsection (i)(1) states “the purposes of this subsection are to ensure that the Federal acquisition workforce…” This Subsection authorizing the AWTF specifically uses the term Federal acquisition workforce which, as earlier defined, are employees of an agency, not contractors. Therefore, the AWTF cannot be used to pay for training contractors.

When did LinkedIn Learning become available in FAI CSOD?

LinkedIn Learning became available on Jan. 16, 2024.

My agency does not offer LinkedIn Learning. How will the members of my agency who have an FAI CSOD account complete LinkedIn Learning courses?

FAI purchased LinkedIn Learning licenses for federal workforce members in FAI CSOD. If your agency does not have LinkedIn Learning, they can use these licenses.

How do my workforce members get access to LinkedIn Learning in FAI CSOD?

They already have access! They simply need to click on a LinkedIn Learning course to activate their account.

If my agency purchased LinkedIn Learning for our workforce, should they use FAI licenses?

We encourage workforce members who have an agency LinkedIn Learning license to use that license.

If my agency purchased LinkedIn Learning for our workforce, will the training courses they complete in the agency LinkedIn Learning automatically transfer to their FAI CSOD profile?

No, these are two different LinkedIn Learning accounts. It is not possible to link the accounts at this time. However, users can submit an external continuous learning activity request to have the training they completed in their agency LinkedIn Learning account be added to their FAI CSOD Transcript.

How many CLPs are granted for LinkedIn Learning courses completed?

CLPs are granted for LinkedIn Learning courses that meet the requirements for CLPs. Some micro learning assets (less than 30 minutes) and/or learning assets that don’t have an assessment have a zero CLP value.

How can I tell what courses in FAI CSOD are LinkedIn Learning courses?

The provider for the course will say “LinkedIn Learning.” LinkedIn Learning courses also appear as an “Online Class."




An official website of the General Services Administration

Looking for U.S. government information and services?